- Arcane: Something arcane is understood or known by only a few people.
- "Not some poor chill-charmer who works his way back and forth across caravan routes, trying to keep fresh meat from rotting.”
- It was the look that said, “You don’t sound as young as you look.”
- “Sympathy?” I interrupted as politely as possible. “You’d probably call it magic,” Abenthy said reluctantly. “It’s not, really.”
- “But even knowing sympathy doesn’t make you an arcanist. A true arcanist has worked his way through the Arcanum at the University.”
- Some stories say Taborlin the Great went there to learn the names of all things.
- “Trip has something like that,” I said. “He rolls sevens.”
- “The Tehlins called them demon signs, and burned folk if they had them.” Abenthy’s mood seemed to have taken a downward turn."
- "When I was growing up in Staup, I knew a young man with a knack."
- "Two wagons ahead of us, I heard Teren and Shandi rehearsing lines from The Swineherd and the Nightingale."
- "He made me play Tirani without a board, keeping track of the stones in my head."