- "Besides, it’s chock full of Tehlu, so no one will complain about it being vulgar.”
- "After a moment’s surprise, I realized the strange light came from a pair of sympathy lamps the old man had mounted on his wagon."
- "Trouble me no longer! I will set fire to your blood and fill you with a fear like ice and iron!”
- “By the power of my name I command it to be so.”
- “"What are you looking for?” “I’d like some lacillium.” We had performed Farien the Fair a dozen times in the last month, and it had filled my young mind with intrigue and assassination."